During the 16 th century, some famous personalities assumed lordship over the castle.
Among them was Anne de Montmorency. He was appointed marshal of France and, under the French kings Louis XII, François 1, Henri II and François II, he served as high constable. Military chief and diplomat, senior minister and art lover, he owned more than 130 castles. In the 17th century, the Cardinal de Retz inherited the Château de La Rochepot; however his debts forced him to sell it. For the next 145 years, through inheritances and acquisitions, the castle became the property of two Burgundian families.
In 1789 came the French Revolution and the Château de La Rochepot was renamed Château de la Roche Fidèle (the Castle of the Faithful Rock). It was declared a national property, then was acquired by contractors who tore down part of its buildings, beginning with the keep, which was sold stone by stone. Subsequently, it passed from hand to hand. As was the case with many monuments during this period, this edifice and its past could have sunk into oblivion.
But this was not its fate.